Monday, February 3, 2014

Wait For the Catch, or Catch What You Can

"Wait for the catch, or catch what you can."
- "Love's Song" by Kids




I remember watching an interview with Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft where Anne was describing the feeling she got whenever she would hear Mel put the key in the door when he got home. She talked about the excitement welling up in her as she would think “Oh, boy. The fun is about to begin!!” 40 years of marriage and she still got so excited everyday when he got home. 

This is great love. It is what I have dreamt of all of my life. Not some big wedding, not a house with a picket fence, not a fancy car or a fat bank account. Great love. A love that would give the rest of the world hope, and bring people joy and even laughter, which is essentially joy out loud. 

As a hopeless romantic, great love is something I have always believed in. However, it wasn’t until maybe this past year or two that I began to believe in it as an attainable goal for myself. It would have to be, I suppose. I’m not big on settling. I am a “wait for the catch” type of girl (if you listen to the song posted above, you will get the reference). I am 34 and I can still count on both hands the men that I have kissed. 

My heart has known love and my heart has known pain. I have often loved without reciprocation, but I have learned to not require it. Love is not a debt that acquires, needing to be repaid. It is to be given freely as one sees fit. When I was 19, I was in my first and worst car accident. One of the biggest lessons I got from that experience was to let people know that I loved and cared for them. There were people that were coming out of the woodworks that I had no idea cared about me, and there were people that I cared about that I hadn’t been able to properly express that love to. Those of you who didn't know me back then may find that hard to imagine. It has been a process, as I knew it would be, which is why I chose my teachers and experiences carefully. Especially in my younger years. 

Opening myself up to loving has been a journey. I first had to learn to be a better friend, especially to myself. It’s a part of me that I am constantly working on. Even though I still tend to get down on myself from time to time, I am a lot quicker on the recovery. It has, also, become a lot more rare of an occasion. 

Realizing my worth has opened me up to a world of strength and confidence. I know how I want to be treated, and I know what kind of treatment is unacceptable. I stand up for myself. 

Learning to love myself has been vital in learning to better love others. In better loving others I have, also, had to learn to accept their love in return. 

Letting love in has been a pretty big lesson for me to learn. One I am also still working on mastering. Although, I got compliments growing up, I got picked on more, which caused me to assume that any compliments I received were out of pity. I learned to accept them gracefully, but never let them past the walls I had put up to protect myself. Something about it made me feel vulnerable and unsafe. 

I remember the first time that I actually took a compliment. I mean really took it to heart. I was about 26, and there was this dear friend of mine (he still is a very dear friend, he just was back then, too) who would speak with such love and sincerity that there was no way to debate it away. My demons were defenseless against it. Every compliment he ever gave me somehow penetrated the walls and went right into my being. I could feel it changing me. As I became more aware that I might be worth something to this planet, I realized I had a lot of “junk” to work through, and I have been working through it ever since. 


In the last year or two, I have really begun to realize that I am finally in a place to love. I am finally that woman that can love greatly. 

I will say this, learning to love greatly has, also taught me to feel greatly. I cry more, especially in front of people (something I did rarely, if ever). I cry tears of extreme joy, and tears of extreme pain and frustration. I laugh hard. I play hard. I work hard. Best of all, I love hard. I can go from “I am woman hear me roar” to “I am tigress hear me purr” to “I am a girl, let me cry. Let me feel.” 

Love is something I feel should be shared with all mankind, but at the same time, Love is God. Love is sacred. So many times I have tried to settle for less than great love. It was good love, they were good men, but there was something I knew wasn’t there. 

How did I know you ask? I will let you in on a little secret. I knew it because I had felt great love before, and nothing has been able to touch that since. I know it exists, and I know it can happen for anybody, even me, and yes, even you. 


Wait for the catch, it’s worth it!

(It is never too late)

No comments:

Post a Comment