Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. King

This is actually a blog from MLK Day 2010 that I originally posted on my old livejournal:


"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. 
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.
Martin Luther King, Jr.


In celebration of Dr. King’s birthday, I’ve enclosed some of my favorite quotes of his.

Discrimination is something that has always been an issue that is close to my heart. I grew up in South Florida, the melting pot of the world. I was so blessed with the experience of meeting and befriending so many different people from so many different cultures, backgrounds and lifestyles. To me this was truly fascinating and fun.

Here we are, almost 47 years after his “I Have a Dream” speech, and so many people still aren’t grasping what he was fighting for.

Not superiority of any race, equality. Not hate, love.

It baffles me that there are still so many people who are looking to judge everyone that is different from them in any way. It seems as though they look for reasons to hate. They can’t find anything legitimate to hate so they start grabbing at straws. Nationality, skin color, accent, hair color, clothes, weight, height, it’s all equally ridiculous as far as I’m concerned.

Moving to the country has been a challenge in this particular area. I’m not used to people still using “the N word” in a derogatory manner. It feels like a knife stabbing me in the gut every time I hear it. In Miami, I always heard “Nigga” which is used in the same context as “homie”. Not such a big deal to me. Why, you may ask? The heart behind it. It wasn’t being used hatefully, quite the opposite actually.

It’s not the things you say or do, you see, it is actually the heart behind them that matters. People need to learn to see eachother that way. Look to the heart of people, not the color of their skin.

I have so many friends and family of other races, backgrounds and lifestyles that I just can not imagine my life without them.

To those of you that continue to discriminate. I urge you to choose love. You are truly missing out on a lot of great people and a lot of great experiences.

Love and light to all of you. Take this day to remember we are all connected. We are here to love and learn."

No comments:

Post a Comment